Traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine are based on the concept that the health of your mouth mirrors your total body health, and your overall health is reflected in your oral health. Even a traditional heart specialist may refer a patient to a dentist for care, so it’s not an unreasonable concept.
Your body’s waste removal is especially active at night when your saliva production drops during sleep. In fact, that slimy, coated feeling you sometimes notice when you wake up is one sign that it’s doing its job!
First thing in the morning is the prime time to clean your mouth of your body’s wastes. And one of the most effective ways of doing it is through oil pulling – an ancient practice of swishing oil in your mouth to remove wastes, reduce normal plaque accumulation, freshen breath, and support the health of your gums and mouth.
Fair Trade Certified Organic Coconut Oil for oil pulling is preferred for several reasons:
- It supports a beneficial balance of healthy mouth flora
- Its cleansing action intensifies when it breaks down into its fatty acid building blocks, which begins immediately in your mouth
- It’s made up of easily digested medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) that readily cross cell membranes and are used by your liver for energy rather than stored as fat
- Contains three valuable medium chain triglycerides (MCTs): caprylic, capric, and lauric fatty acids (an important protectant fatty acid found in mother’s milk)
- Does not produce an insulin spike in your bloodstream
- It tastes better and feels less greasy in your mouth
Coconut oil by itself can be chunky when temperatures fall below 76 degrees – not always a pleasant experience when placed directly in your mouth! For my Coconut Oil Oral Rinse, I’ve combined Fair Trade Certified Organic Coconut Oil with its valuable component, MCT oil, to create the perfect consistency oil for pulling.
Whether you use my Coconut Oil Oral Rinse for “pulling” for a comprehensive mouth cleansing or for just a quick mouth freshener when you’re short on time, it deserves a key spot in your overall detoxification program.