- With Potent Anti-Oxidant Coffee Extracts
It is now possible to diminish visible signs of facial-skin photoaging by harnessing the power of coffee compounds.
Facial skin retains its youthful, vibrant glow thanks to a resilient framework of connective tissue formed by the proteins collagen and elastin, and water-binding glycosaminoglycans. These molecules make up the skin’s extracellular matrix that supports the suppleness of the skin.
However, free radicals generated by the pervasive ultraviolet rays of the sun are associated with a normal decline in this extracellular matrix. Over time, tell-tale signs of photoaging may appear—wrinkles, redness, and roughness—especially in the sun-vulnerable regions such as the face.
Concentrated coffee extracts can target multiple factors involved in facial skin aging. Scientists have shown that topical application of the highly active coffee compounds supports the natural capacity of the extracellular matrix to replenish connective tissue and restore water-binding molecules. Topically applied caffeine, for instance, helps support the body’s normal removal of ultraviolet light-damaged keratinocyte cells—the process a healthy body employs to inhibit skin photoaging. This promotes the appearance of firmer, more youthful-looking facial skin.
Studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of coffee compounds—Coffea arabica seed oil as well as Coffea robusta seed extract, which is known to contain both chlorogenic acid and caffeine—on aging facial skin.
When applied directly to facial skin…
- Arabica seed oil improved skin dryness and promoted the body’s natural production of collagen and elastin.
- Coffea arabica supported improvement of the appearance of wrinkles, redness, and rough texture in a clinical trial—after just 12 weeks of twice daily application.
- Chlorogenic acid helped reduce the normal redness associated with prolonged ultraviolet exposure.
- Caffeine enhanced the visibility of skin smoothness and promoted a reduction in wrinkle depth—with clinical results seen in only 4 weeks.